Modification of Child Support Protecting Your Family's Interests for Over a Decade

Call Us Today (949) 397-6649

Need To Modify Child Custody?

Orange County Family Attorneys Guiding Parents

Situations change over time. The child custody agreement the judge ordered a few years ago may no longer be in the child’s best interest, or a parent may not be fulfilling his or her terms of the arrangement. When situations change substantially, parents can seek to modify the custody agreement.

To find out the best way to modify California child custody arrangements, schedule a meeting with our Orange County Family Law Associates. We offer free case reviews to give you a basic idea of where you stand and what your options are.

Call for Free Legal Advice from Orange County Family Law Attorneys

We established our firm to help people like you find answers to their questions. There is no charge to schedule a case review with one of our Orange County family law attorneys. When you arrive, please bring relevant financial and legal documents to help give us an idea of where things stand. If you have a record of the other parent’s misconduct such as a journal or copies of emails, it would be very helpful to bring those as well.

Orange County Family Law Associates Is the Right Choice

At our firm, we have highly-trained and qualified lawyers who have experience with all areas of family law and are both eager and willing to help.

Common Reasons to Modify a Child Custody Order in CA

In order for a court to consider altering a previously established child custody agreement, you have to be able to show that there has been a significant change in circumstances for you or your former spouse. If nothing is different than it was when the original custody arrangement was ordered, a judge will not agree to alter it. However, there are many circumstances that can be considered a significant change.

The most important factor that the courts will consider is whether or not modifying the arrangement is in the child’s best interests. A parent may seek to modify California child custody agreements after significant life changes, which may include:

  • Change in work schedule
  • Change in address
  • Change in medical/health conditions
  • A parent wishes to move with a child
  • A parent has remarried
  • Child wishes to spend more or less time with one parent
  • One parent is failing to abide by the terms of the agreement
  • A parent is presenting a danger to the child

If you wish to change only the agreement about your visitation rights while maintaining the same custody arrangements, you only have to prove that it would be in the best interest of the child. Proving a significant change in your life’s circumstances is only necessary when you would like to alter who has legal or physical custody of the child.

  • “If you ever need a great attorney do not look anywhere else!! Thank you for everything Bruce!”

  • “When the situation was not resolved immediately, he continued to offer his expertise. He helped us sleep easier at night! We are so grateful for his Mr. Bridgeman and his ongoing support and direction!”

    - Barbara S.

How Do I Modify Child Custody in California?

If you want to adjust the current arrangement, one parent will need to submit a form to the Court Clerk. Then, you and the other parent will meet with a family law mediator to attempt to come to an amicable solution. If mediation does not result in an agreement, a hearing will be held on the child custody modification request.

Often, a judge will order a child custody evaluation before making a decision. This evaluation will be conducted by an independent third party, such as a social worker. He or she will interview the parents and children and will examine the health, welfare, safety and best interest of the child. This evaluator will submit a report and recommendations to the court. The court is not required to follow the recommendations, but in reality, judges often defer to these evaluators.

If the child is age 14 or older, he or she can testify as to whether or not the arrangement should change. Even if the child is under the age of 14, the court will consider a child’s wishes if he or she is of “sufficient age and capacity to reason.” However, a child or teenager’s wishes alone will not determine custody.

We Put Your Family First We treat you like family, not a case number.
  • Reasonable Fees
  • Compassionate Representation
  • Trial-Tested Attorneys
  • Free Consultation

Contact us for a
Free consultation

Call Us Today (949) 397-6649

  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.